Friday, January 25, 2013

Review for VAIN by Fisher Amelie


★★★★★
VAIN
 
Synopsis:
 
If you’re looking for a story about a good, humble girl, who’s been hurt by someone she thought she could trust, only to find out she’s not as vulnerable as she thought she was and discovers an empowering side of herself that falls in love with the guy who helps her find that self, blah, blah, blah...then you’re gonna’ hate my story.

Because mine is not the story you read every time you bend back the cover of the latest trend novel. It’s not the “I can do anything, now that I’ve found you/I’m misunderstood but one day you’ll find me irresistible because of it” tale. Why? Because, if I was being honest with you, I’m a complete witch. There’s nothing redeeming about me. I’m a friend using, drug abusing, sex addict from Los Angeles. I’m every girlfriend’s worst nightmare and every boy’s fantasy.

I’m Sophie Price...And this is the story about how I went from the world’s most envied girl to the girl no one wanted around and why I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
_____________________________________________________________________
 
Ok, so when I started this book, all I could think was that I could not stand Sophie. I mean, how bratty and obnoxious can someone be? I know that was the point, and yes, I appreciated that for what it was worth, but I couldn't help wanting to smack her every time she went on...and on... and on... about how fabulous and beautiful and important she was.
 
“Vanity's a debilitating affliction. You’re so absorbed in yourself it’s impossible to love anyone other than oneself, leaving you weak without realization of it. It’s quite sad. You’ve no idea what you’re missing either. You will never know real love and your life will pas you by.”
 
So then the invincible Sophie Price, queen bee, gets busted for possession-- again-- and is sentenced to six months at an orphanage in Uganda. What a life changing sentence this turns out to be! And this is where I fall in love with this book on a million different levels! The people Sophie meets at this orphanage are just incredible. Karina- love. Charles- love. Mandisa- love, love, love. And Ian- in love! And I can't forget about Pemmy and Spencer (please, oh please let Spencer have his own book one day!) Each and every one of these characters, including all of the children at the orphanage-- who have been through so much in their young lives, but still manage to laugh and love and appreciate life-- brought something amazing to this story and were all so inspiring in their own way.
 
“And what is there to be joyful about?" I asked honestly, thinking on the images of dead children curled into themselves at the village. Another burst of silent tears streamed down.

"Life, Sophie. They still live. They breathe, they love each other, they find joy in the world around them for no other reason than because they are children. They are resilient. They will always rise above. Always. It is a curious facet of the innocent young.”
 
In Karina, she finally has the motherly affection that she's been lacking her entire life. And Mandisa is just the sweetest little thing, and has a sweet spot in Sophie's heart. I just loved her. The relationship between Sophie and Ian develops beautifully. It feels natural, not rushed at all. I loved that. He was not impressed with Miss Sophie at first, but as she starts to grow as a person, she grows on him. Finally she has someone in her life to love her for who she is on the inside and that fact is extremely gratifying for her. Even more than that, she soon realizes that SHE needs to love HERSELF, and know that she is worthy of love, and everything else will fall into place. Breakthrough, Sophie Price!
 
“Men wanted me. They all did, however briefly, but none of them wanted to keep me. That's what I needed. I needed to be owned, loved. BUT NOT BY A MAN. I knew then that I never needed to be kept by a man. What I needed was to love myself, to want to keep myself around. And in that revelation, I knew that if I wanted to keep myself, that a man wanting to keep me would just be a by-product.”
 
There are books that entertain you, books that make you laugh, books that give you a good cry... And then there are books that inspire you and make you look at the world a little differently. This is one of those books. Each of Sophie's experiences at the orphanage touched my heart. I smiled, I cried, I really didn't want it to end. I could go on and on about how great I think this book is, but I'll just say this-- READ IT. Seriously...now! :) Move it up on your list and read it. You won't be disappointed.
 
I'll leave you with a few quotes ;)
 
“No one can know sincere happiness, Sophie, without first having known sorrow. One can never appreciate the enormity and rareness of such a fiery bliss without seeing misery, however unfair that may be.”
 
“I smiled at him and we stood quietly, our hands on one another as if we were both awakening to whatever it was that was surrounding us both then. It was written all over us. There was something practically tangible there, like a ray of sun, warming us through to our souls. You could see it, you could feel it, but you couldn't quite capture it in your hands. That didn't mean it wasn't there though. Oh, it was there and it weighed a thousand precious pounds.”
 
"You are so gosh damn beautiful in here," he said, tapping my chest, "that what's here," he spoke, running the side of his hand down my face, "is magnified tenfold and that is a sight to behold.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...