Sunday, February 17, 2013

Review- The Boys of Summer by C.J. Duggan

 
★★★★★
 
Synopsis:
 
It seemed only natural to nickname them the ‘Onslow Boys’. Every time they swaggered in the front door of the Onslow Hotel after a hard week’s work, their laughter was loud and genuine as they settled onto their bar stools. I peeked through the restaurant partition, a flimsy divider between my world and theirs. I couldn’t help but smile whenever I saw them, saw him ... Toby Morrison.

Quiet seventeen-year-old Tess doesn’t relish the thought of a summertime job. She wants nothing more than to forget the past haunts of high school and have fun with her best friends before the dreaded Year Twelve begins.

To Tess, summer is when everything happens: riding bikes down to the lake, watching the fireworks at the Onslow Show and water bomb fights at the sweltering Sunday markets.

How did she let her friends talk her into working?

After first-shift disasters, rude, wealthy tourists and a taunting ex-boyfriend, Tess is convinced nothing good can come of working her summer away. However, Tess finds unlikely allies in a group of locals dubbed ‘The Onslow Boys’, who are old enough to drive cars, drink beer and not worry about curfews. Tess’s summer of working expands her world with a series of first times with new friends, forbidden love and heartbreaking chaos.

All with the one boy she has never been able to forget.

It will be a summer she will always remember.

Warning: sexual references, and occasional coarse language.
___________________________________________________________________
I had this book on my TBR list for quite a while- it wasn't until I was doing a promotional post (which will be up tomorrow!) and reading the excerpts that I wondered why the heck I was waiting so long to read it! This book was so perfectly sweet and wonderful, I adored it!! I absolutely loved the dynamic between Tess, Ellie and Adam- each of them brought something so special to their friendship. They loved and supported each other unconditionally, it was very sweet. Toby is absolutely adorable. He's sexy and witty and, unlike a lot of the YA/NA books out lately, doesn't have a tough shell to crack, he's just a genuinely nice guy. Now I love an hot, alpha male "jerk" in my books as much as the next girl, but this was very refreshing. Now let's talk about Adam. He's Tess' and Ellie's best friend and I just fell all kinds of in love with him. He said the absolute best things and was so funny, just a wonderful character. Another character I loved was Sean. He was just a really great guy and also very funny and charming. Honestly, I could go on and on about all of the characters in this book that I loved, but I'd be here all day! There's a little bit of drama in this book, but it doesn't go overboard with the angst. It's a wonderful story about love, friendship, and self discovery. I laughed, I cried, I sighed. Over and over again. I fell in love with the characters, I became invested in them, I couldn't put the book down! I am so glad that this series will continue. I cannot wait to read about Sean in the next book, AN ENDLESS SUMMER. I hope he finds the girl of his dreams, he so deserves it. C.J. Duggan's writing is just wonderful and I cant wait for more!!

Quotes I loved:
“Do you want some words of advice, Tess?” I glanced at Adam’s profile as he sipped. “Don’t give your heart away too easily.” He turned to me. “Make him earn it.”
“You are sexy, in your own goofball way, you’re sweet and beautiful and smart and funny and, although you kiss to the point where I feel like I want to go back for seconds, you’re my best friend, and that’s why I don’t want to tap that.”
“That’s the thing. I’ve never met anyone like you, Tess. You think you’re a no one? You’re so wrong. So wrong. You stand in a room with all the Angelas, even the Ellie's. None of them can compare to you. I remember when you started working at the Onslow, I couldn’t keep my eyes off you. You were so terrified. You weren’t full of yourself like other girls. Every time you walked into the bar, you were like a breath of fresh air. Even when Angela was a bitch to you, you rose above it. You made me see the difference in people. You’re not a nobody, Tess, you’re a somebody.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...